- 2 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar, plus extra tsp. to decorate crust
- zest of one orange (use less if you like)
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- dash of salt
- 1 – 2 tablespoons butter (use real butter)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Mix the first six ingredients in bowl. Set aside for 15 minutes. Line the pie plate with the bottom crust and fill with the rhubarb mixture. Slice the butter and dot the pie mixture (see picture below). Cover with top crust, fold and pinch seams together. Brush crust lightly with milk or cream and sprinkle with sugar. Cut at least four slits into top of pie to vent while baking.
Bake at 425 F for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 F for an additional 30-35 minutes. Be sure to place a cookie sheet or foil on the rack beneath the pie, the juices will likely bubble over.