- 7 large eggs (separated & at room temperature)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Separate the eggs, putting the egg yolks in one bowl and egg whites in another. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the egg YOLKS, water, oil, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites. Using a stand mixer, beat until the peaks are stiff. (This took about 4 minutes in a stand mixer.)
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the batter until combined. Batter will be very light and fluffy.
- Pour into an ungreased tube pan and bake on the lowest rack for 50 minutes, or until top springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert the pan and let it rest upside down on three glasses.
- Allow the cake to cool upside down completely, then slide a knife around the sides and center of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Remove the cake to a plate.
- To make the lemon glaze, whisk together the sugar, lemon extract and heavy cream. Add additional heavy cream to get desired drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the cake with the lemon glaze.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.