- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs (well beaten)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup crushed pineapple (drained well)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3/4 cup butter (softened)
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
FOR THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and oil.
- Add in the eggs, beating well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon. Blend the flour in with the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold in the carrots, drained pineapple, coconut and walnuts.
- Grease and flour two 9″ baking pans.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center of the cake bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, the turn them out on a wire rack to cool completely.
FOR THE FROSTING:
- Using an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is light and fluffy. This will take about 3 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar, ½ a cup at a time, until it is thoroughly mixed.
- Add the vanilla and beat the frosting on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
FROST THE CAKE:
- Once the cake is cooled, place one layer on a cake plate. Frost the top of the cake layer.
- Place the second layer on top, then use the remaining frosting to cover the top and sides of the cake.
- Decorate with additional chopped nuts if desired.