- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon each of almond extract, vanilla extract and lemon extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅔ cup crushed pineapple with juice
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 20 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple drained
- 3.4 ounce package dry instant vanilla pudding mix
- 12 oz Cool Whip or stabilized whipped cream
MAKE THE CAKE (**DOUBLE THE RECIPE FOR A LAYER CAKE**)
- Using a stand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, extracts and oil and beat until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the crushed pineapple.
- Mix together well.
- Grease and flour an 8×8″ pan for a snack cake and spread batter in the bottom or if you doubled the recipe for layer cake, divide between two greased and floured 9″ round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when you touch it.
MAKE THE FROSTING & ASSEMBLE THE CAKE (OR IF DESIRED, SIMPLY TOP WITH WHIPPED CREAM):
- In a bowl, combine the drained pineapple and dry vanilla pudding mix.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- If making an 8×8 cake, simply frost the cake once it is cooled. If making a layer cake, spread some of the frosting on the top of one layer. Then put the other layer of cake on top of that.
- Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
- Store this cake in the refrigerator.